https://www.facebook.com/FitMomAmandahttp://instagram.com/fitmomamandahttp://www.youtube.com/user/Amandanoddingshttps://plus.google.com/u/0/109635482394512718098/aboutamandanoddings@me.com

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Ramp up the Color with Roasted Root Veggies




We've all heard about the amazing properties of colorful vegetables. As my 4 year old daughter likes to say, "Eat a rainbow a day!" But aside from big, colorful salads, what kinds of sides can you have with dinner, that aren't the same old rice or potatoes?

Well, here's a great way to incorporate some of the lesser used root vegetables. It's a simple mix of beets, carrots, and sweet potato.


Beets?? Did you say beets!? Yuck! Well, that's what I thought when I first looked at recipes using beets. I hate beets! But the truth is, I have a distant memory of pickled beets in my head from childhood, and being force-fed by my well intentioned grandmother. When I think if beets, my head and heart immediately return to trauma zone.

One thing you have to try and do as an adult is to try new things. And sometimes, that means trying old things that our childhood brain has told us for years we didn't like. I for one am completely guilty of saying, "Oh, I like carrots. Just not cooked carrots." But even Olivia gets excited for carrots. ⬇️⬇️⬇️



Believe it or not, this recipe has both. The ingredients are simple, and you are going to peel and chop them all:

-1 Sweet Potato (or you can substitute with yam), cut into one inch chunks.
-2 Carrots, chunked to a similar size
-1 large Beet, also chunked
-1/2 (or a whole if you love onion as much as I do- yet another thing I used to "hate"), peeled and cut into wedges
-2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Himalayan Sea Salt

Cooking this is so simple, anyone can make it. All you have to do is mix everything together: the veggies, the oil, the salt. You can add some dried garlic and rosemary if you want to get super fancy. With an oven preheated to 400, spread the mix of veggies out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast em and eat em!


They take about 45-55 minutes, so I usually bake them first, and often I make two batches. After all, if you're gonna be chopping all these veggies, why not do it all at once? Beware, though. You might end up with hands like these!


They reheat great for my work meal sides the rest of the week, and when people smell or see it, they are all jealous of the aroma and see the vibrant color. The health benefits are enormous and you won't regret giving it a whirl. Try it and let me know what you think! I love feedback!


Star Diamond Coach Amanda Noddings
Www.facebook.com/TeamDrivenFitness
Www.facebook.com/FitMomAmanda


Star Diamond Coach Amanda Noddings
Www.facebook.com/TeamDrivenFitness
Www.facebook.com/FitMomAmanda

No comments: