https://www.facebook.com/FitMomAmandahttp://instagram.com/fitmomamandahttp://www.youtube.com/user/Amandanoddingshttps://plus.google.com/u/0/109635482394512718098/aboutamandanoddings@me.com

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

21 Day Fix Street Tacos




I once had a friend named Bill who talked me into trying fish tacos from a street vendor one day at the beach. Something about the sunshine and water made it sound like a great idea at the time- I was up for a food adventure. NOT something I would've normally eaten at the time- especially because this was before I made a big lifestyle change in my health and fitness, and I wasn't a big fish eater. In fact, I don't think I'd ever eaten fish at the time that hasn't beer-battered and fried.



Since then, I've often had moments where I thought about those delicious, messy tacos slathered in a sweet sauce, and wanted to taste that deliciousness again. This recipe hits ALL the cravings- and the best part is, it's healthy. If you follow the 21 Day Fix Meal Plan, it'll count as one green (slaw), one yellow (corn tortilla), and one red (fish and sauce).

Start with the fish- then you can work on the accompaniments while the fish is cooking. You have two options here with your cooking method- you can pan-grill it, or oven bake. I prefer the oven method because it is lower maintenance. I use a preheated oven to 375 with a foil-lined baking sheet for easy cleanup. Don't forget to put a spritz of olive oil on the foil so your fish doesn't stick--You'll regret it if you forget!



For your fish, choose a white fish of any kind- I used cod from my local meat department. I seasoned my fish with some cayenne pepper, a little chili powder, and some lemon pepper. Your seasoning choice is up to you- I've also used a zesty garlic spice combination that turned out really well. You'll want your fish cut into 4 ounce pieces (about 1" wide and 3" long) for even cooking. It'll take 10-12 minutes to cook, so set a timer for ten minutes and then check it. You'll know it's done when it flakes apart easily with a fork and is white throughout. And don't freak out if you're not done with the sides yet- simply turn the oven off and leave the fish in to stay warm.



While the fish cooks, throw together your sauce. Here's what you'll need to make the Zesty Lime Sauce:
-1 cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
-1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
-Juice from one lime
-Optional: One Stevia Packet (I prefer it with this hint of sweetness for balance)



All you have to do is mix it and set it aside. I like to mix it directly in the yogurt container and label it- then I have it for leftovers. You can dress the slaw with it right away, or you can keep it on the side like I do, so nothing gets soggy.



Now that you've made your sauce, set it aside in the fridge and get to work on the slaw. This is super simple: green and red cabbage, and a carrot if you want. Shred. Mix. Whalah! I prefer to use the carrot and purple cabbage to add color, but you can even by a pre-made bag of plain shredded cabbage in your grocery store to keep it super simple.



You can warm up small corn tortillas in a pan, as I prefer, or give them a quick zap in the microwave. Now you're ready to build your tacos!



Make them individually one at a time, or put everything out on the table and serve it up family style. My husband's exact words were, "I could eat these every night!" I prefer to dress them up with some fresh pico de gallo salsa, and you can offer up avocado as well (this would count as a blue container on the Fix if you use it).






I hope you enjoyed these- please leave a comment below or share my blog and Driven Fitness page with a friend. Enjoy your food! Healthy doesn't have to mean tasteless!



Star Diamond Coach Amanda Noddings
Www.facebook.com/TeamDrivenFitness
Www.facebook.com/FitMomAmanda

No comments: