https://www.facebook.com/FitMomAmandahttp://instagram.com/fitmomamandahttp://www.youtube.com/user/Amandanoddingshttps://plus.google.com/u/0/109635482394512718098/aboutamandanoddings@me.com

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Protein Packed Breakfast: the Red, White & Green Omelette

Good morning beautiful people! The sun may not be shining, and I may be dragging, but I still can carve out ten minutes to make a quick healthy breakfast for my kids and I. Last night, I ended up staying over late at the hospital to do one-on-one coverage with a patient. What does this mean, you ask? Well, it means being at the hospital several hours longer than planned, coming home to one hour of sleep before my kiddos wake up, and dragging in energy for the day. UNLESS I counteract that in a smart way.
So, first things first- fill up my water bottle and get to drinking! But next, my job is to replace the nutrients my body is depleted of and add a little protein boost to my day. I had my go-to breakfast, a chocolate PB2 Shakeology with a half a banana blended in-- which helps me get going for the day. I am not the best at eating first thing when I wake up, and this has really made a big difference in my ability to get going first thing in the morning. But the next step is, open the fridge and see what I can use to amp up some simple eggs. 

I have a large bin of baby spinach and some mushrooms in there, and also plenty of eggs. So why not do an Omelette? For some reason people get so intimidated by the thought of making an omelette. Its not so scary- I promise! Let me help you get started. First, I turned my stove to medium and threw a tsp. of coconut oil in there to sauté the veggies. When they were warm and the spinach was sufficiently wilted (I used one cup for this as well as 1/2 cup of mushrooms), I moved on to the next step.

I removed the veggies to a bowl on the side and used the same pan to start cooking 4 beaten egg whites. I seasoned it with some fresh cracked pepper and pink Himalayan sea salt. Now, this is where the hard part comes in: You need to WAIT. Literally, don't touch the pan. Let it get heated evenly and spread around the pan, and don't touch it until you start to see the curd-like cooked eggs forming.
Next, you tilt the pan to the side, lifting the edge of the omelette to see if its browning and holding together. You literally tilt the pan around in a circle, letting the egg mixture run off to the sides and spread around, then set it down for another minute. You may need to do this several times so you don't have a glob of raw egg in the middle of your pan. Rotate and rest, rotate and rest.

When you feel like the mixture is sufficiently cooked, you can start placing your fillings in the omelette. I used 1/8 cup of low fat feta cheese, as well as a chopped tomato from my garden. I then added the sautéed veggie mixture I had set off to the side. The final step is tricky, and just gets better and easier with practice. 
Gently lift one side and fold it over your fillings. Then, you can either fold the opposite side in to cover it, or try and roll the entire structure over on top of itself. I usually do the latter, as I feel it holds the omelette together better. Then, simply slide off onto a plate, and enjoy! If you are having guests or simply like beautiful food, you may want to garnish with a piece or two of your fillings, as I did here. After all, we eat with our eyes first!
Hopefully this was a helpful lesson for you today- it really doesn't take long, yet somehow tastes different to eat an omelette over an every-day easy scramble. And this protein packed meal high in vitamins with a little healthy fat will propel me through this difficult morning! Have a gorgeous day!




No comments: