https://www.facebook.com/FitMomAmandahttp://instagram.com/fitmomamandahttp://www.youtube.com/user/Amandanoddingshttps://plus.google.com/u/0/109635482394512718098/aboutamandanoddings@me.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Solution: Avocado Deviled Eggs

These simple little eggs are super delicious. Olivia had a great time making them with me, and I even let her garnish hers with a little piece of turkey bacon, calling them “Green Eggs & Ham” a la Dr. Seuss. I have no doubts that Sam-I-Am himself would have approved of these delicious treats.


Basically, a lot of my recipes stem from the idea of taking foods I already know I love, and giving them more of a healthy spin. I often find myself wondering, at Thanksgiving or Christmas, “Why don’t we make these more often?” and vowing to do so. But then I remember…”Oh, yeah… mayonnaise. I can’t eat these year round!” Well, now I can, thanks to adding a dose of healthy fat to the recipe instead of a dollop of good old mayo.


Super Simple, and it’s my Monday, so we’re going to keep it really basic for everyone involved. Start with 8 hard boiled eggs.


Peel them, and then halve them, scooping the yolks out to the side. I chose to use only 2 yolks of the 8


Here’s a tip for doing this—Use a plastic knife to slice them, wiping it clean and dry on a paper towel between each slice. This way, you won’t get the egg yolk all over the white. It doesn’t really matter, but it makes for a nice presentation. If you have trouble getting the yolks out easily, I recommend giving them a gentle squeeze, nudging the yolk right out the middle. If all else fails, grab a spoon and start digging! Don’t waste time getting the insides perfectly clean- remember, you’re piping filling over this anyway!


Next, you’re going to add an avocado. My favorite way to slice this fruit is in a circular fashion, from the top all the way around the pit in circumference. Then you can take one hand on either side, twist, and separate. If you need to slice them neatly, you can repeat this into quarters, but for our purposes, you are mashing it anyway, so feel free to dig away.


Add the avocado the egg yolk, in a small bowl.


Next, employ your four year old to get to mashing! I have her wash her hands, sit at the table with a fork, and mash away. Not only does it keep her happy, but out of trouble.


After that, add one cup of greek yogurt (I use plain, nonfat greek yogurt, like Fage). Add your sea salt and pepper to taste, along with a little spicy brown mustard for kick, or a dash of vinegar for acid. The best thing about this is tasting as you go- make it taste delicious to you!


Now, we aren’t professional pastry chefs around here, so we slam it all in a small ziplock sandwich bag, and snip off the end. I recommend making this a big kid or grown-up job- it gets messy, even when I do it!





Fill your eggs- I tend to do half first to make sure they all get covered, then repeat my way around the circle for the top off. I always seem to have more than enough, but I can’t help but do it this way just in case!


If you are following the 21 day fix plan, you’re looking at being able to eat six of these bad boys (halves, of course) to count as one red and one blue. Amazing, tasty, healthy, a good appetizer, and fun to make. And don’t forget that piece of turkey bacon if you’re going for green eggs and ham!


Please like, share, comment, pin, and +1 for more great family friendly, health driven recipes like this! Have a fabulous day!

Star Diamond Coach Amanda Noddings
Www.facebook.com/TeamDrivenFitness
Www.facebook.com/FitMomAmanda

No comments: