https://www.facebook.com/FitMomAmandahttp://instagram.com/fitmomamandahttp://www.youtube.com/user/Amandanoddingshttps://plus.google.com/u/0/109635482394512718098/aboutamandanoddings@me.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Easy 5 ingredient Healthy Gluten-Free Coconut Pie Crust


There are lots of things I love in this world, and one of them is pie. Always has been, always will be. Cake? Eh, I can walk right by it. Ice cream? Sure, once in a blue moon it sounds great. But leave me alone in a room with a light, flaky crusted pie and bad things will happen to that beautiful dish... And my waistline.



The thing is, making a pastry crust is virtually impossible to make "healthy," and what's healthy for you varies depending on your viewpoint. There are four basic ingredients to any pie crust- flour, salt, water, and FAT. Yes, Fat. No matter how you slice it (see what I did there!?), you need fat for flaky crusty pie.

Because baking is a science, you have little room for manipulation here. But one thing I wanted to try and do was use coconut oil instead of the standard pie fats: lard, vegetable oil, shortening, or butter (although I am a fan of real butter over margarine, but that's a whole different article!).



One of the great things about coconut oil is its rich in medium chain saturated fatty acids-- which, if you break it down simply, means your body processes it well in the liver. Studies have shown it to improve blood profiles (an increase in "good" cholesterol and a decrease in "bad"). The ketone bodies produced by coconut oil are like food for the brain- and we all need that. Ultimately, for these and many reasons, it's an excellent choice for a healthy fat. And if you're vegan or gluten free, this is a win in both departments.

Ok, back to the pie crust! This recipe was formulated after a little trial and error for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. It is super easy, only requires a bowl and a fork, and these 5 ingredients:

- 1/2 c. Coconut Oil (melted)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 3/4 c. Coconut Flour
- 2 T. Raw Local Honey



Preheat your oven to 400° and make sure your pie can be placed on the center rack for even baking. You will want a lightly greased 9" deep pie dish.

Mix your eggs, honey, salt, and oil in a bowl together. Once thorough ally mixed, slowly stir in the flour (this is easily done with a fork- no mixer required!). I chose coconut flour, sticking with my gluten free, high fiber nutritious theme.



As soon as the dough holds together in a ball, stop mixing and press it into your pie pan. Once evenly spread, prick it with a fork about every 1/2" or so, to prevent bubbling and cracking of the crust as it bakes.

That's it! Ten minutes in the oven will cook this dish perfectly-- although if you plan on adding a filling later and baking it more, you may want to cover the edges with foil to prevent burning. If I was to bake this for a quiche or other savory dish, I may skip the honey to reduce sweetness, but that's just an option. Make sure you place it up to cool and set.



The nutritional facts here are based on a 1/8 serving of a 9" pie crust.


I hope you'll give this "healthier" version of pie crust a try and let me know what you think! You can always subscribe to my blog for more fit tips and recipes like these, or share it with a friend. Let me know what you think of the end result! I'll be sharing my pumpkin filling with you soon! Remember to reach out to me for one-on-one nutrition and fitness support, and coaching for your fitness and weight loss goals. As always, live healthy, live happy!



Star Diamond Coach Amanda Noddings
Www.facebook.com/TeamDrivenFitness
Www.facebook.com/FitMomAmanda

No comments: